Here it is at present, still in thirds while being quilted.
There are three 24" blocks, twelve 16" blocks, and six 12" blocks.
So what was my plan 18 months ago when I started this monster? I wanted an alternative to the pattern layout of 3 x 3, (or 4 x 4 to make my size). I thought different size blocks would be interesting to look at. I also thought that QAYG would suit these blocks. Though you can't see it in this picture, each block is quilted in matching thread. I planned to have one of the large blocks in the centre, one top left, and one bottom right.
I got held up trying to put the sections together. Let's face it, I was scared of the process! So many strips of white, all different sizes. A big jig saw puzzle, really. So I procrastinated.
Finally I got it all out, and started measuring and sewing pieces together. Here's what I learned:
When trying to fit together different size blocks, it helps if the numbers divide into each other evenly. 12 and 24 was good, 16 was a headache.
When working with white, make careful note which one it is. They are not the same! All my dividing strips are Kona White, and in some of the blocks. Others are in either Bella White or Bella Snow, I'm not even sure. Big difference!
Also, you can see any coloured thread that strayed onto the batting through the white.
I don't need to be afraid of QAYG, it's working out fine. I'm using the method that Mari of The Quilting Edge shows on her blog.
And importantly, I still love the fabrics and the blocks!
Now I have some larger sections of white between the blocks to quilt. The widest of these is 8 inches. I signed up for the Craftsy class taught by Angela Walters for Quilting Feathers. I only have a domestic machine, it's a Brother with a wider throat. Each of my quilt sections is now 35" x 98", so it is possible to wrestle it all through. I'm nervous, I admit. All that work, not to mention expense. There have been some problems, to be honest. One section was taken out twice, and that's not easy. I had to change the needle and the thread. I hope I'm on top of it now. Here's some of my progress so far:
I'm pretty happy with how this looks. Hope the rest goes smoothly!
Till next time