Now that I'm home again from a short trip I'm rarin' to go on my WIPs.
My DD is having a fundraiser at the school where she teaches. She had the idea that I would make a quilt. No, it's not like that, I'm joking. The kids in her Grade 3 class would make the squares, and I would put them together. Then we decided to include two other Grade 3 classes. So I came home to 61 squares. Here they are:
We used Sharpies on white squares 6 " finished.
Pros for the Sharpies:
they fit our budget
they come in a large range of colours
they are indelible
Cons for the Sharpies:
They are indelible, and if you got some on your clothes they would be, but would the colours stay where we put them?
I've done everything I can to set the colours. First a hot iron. Then I bought some Retayne, and following instructions I put some squares in hot water. Horrors. The water was turning light yellow. The first batch shed a little ink, and the outlines of the pictures turned fuzzy, instead of very crisp. This is a lot of stress. Imagine 61 little kids looking disappointed, not to mention their parents. That is a large group.
Finally I got into a groove with warm water, less colour loss, and no dramatic changes. Then I ironed them again. Phew!! Relief! They still look great.
Now I'm sashing them together, here are the first few rows:
The sashing is a sort of jungle print, in keeping with our wildlife theme.
And after that my other WIPs seem a bit tame (pun!), so more about them on another post.
Linking to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced. I'm going there now to browse the fantastic things everyone is making.