Saturday, June 15, 2013

T-shirt quilt - finished!

At last, another finish in 2013. We are half way through the year, and although there haven't been as many finishes as I had hoped, I'm still happy with my progress.

These T shirts are very precious to my DS, and I was nervous cutting them up for my first ever T shirt quilt.
I asked for advice, watched Youtube, and finally took the plunge and cut. Have I mentioned that my usual mistakes are related to cutting? I had been told to fuse and then cut to size. Instead I cut, fused and then trimmed to size. Luckily there were no disasters.

I was also advised to cut all the blocks the same size.


 You can see how well I take advice!  I pieced the centre and then placed blocks around that.
Here's a look at my calculations, they make me smile! There's probably a computer way to figure this out (EQ7?), but I like a diagram.

Tshirt front

Then, not content with this headache, I did the same thing on the back!

tshirt back

All those numbers just to evenly place 5 blocks of 3 different sizes.
Here's how it looks:


I usually try to quilt all my own quilts, but in this case I took it to the longarmer, and I love the result!
I think it really adds to the quilt without overwhelming it. It's also just the pattern I had in mind.

Till next time,



  1. Love the quilting Sue, it's perfect. Another great quilt finished..hooray!

  2. This is looking great! I think you did well to ignore some of the advice and go with your own plan :)

  3. I've been pondering this option for a while now. It's exciting to see a finished t-shirt quilt looking so dapper. Thanks so much for sharing.

    I'm also a Calgarian and found your blog via the 2013 Swoon QAL.


Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you. Really!