Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival

I'm sure that by now you know that the Blogger's Quilt Festival is on at Amy's Creative Side. It's fun to browse a different category every day (or every few hours!). While admiring the quilts today, I decided to enter two of my favourites. This is my first time entering, and I'm excited!

The first quilt I'm entering is in the  favourite home machine quilted category, and it is my Enormous Swoon Quilt. A lot of the fabrics I used are from the Gypsy Bandana line, so I toyed with names like Swooning Over a Gypsy and so on, but due to its size it got called The White Elephant. I blogged about this quilt hereand here, and various other posts along the way.

Today I set off to take some more pictures of it. I really should have checked the batteries in the camera. Perhaps taking two dogs wasn't the best idea. Maybe I should have taken pictures before the first snowfall too. The bright sunshine made pictures hard. No more excuses!





Since I entered in the home quilted category, I'll tell you a bit about the quilting. This quilt is a lot of firsts: first quilt-as-you-go, first feathers. Really that's the reason it took me so long to finish - I knew what I wanted to do, but was scared to try! Each of the Swoon blocks was sandwiched and quilted in a geometric pattern that echoed the star. I used a colour to match the star in each case. Then I joined them together with the white sashing, and quilted feathers on all the white strips larger than 1 inch. Angela Walters' class on Etsy was my savior there.

Here are a few closeups of my quilting:



One last picture of my favourite quilt:




Swoon quilt, finished at last!

Quilt stats:

fabric: Gypsy Bandana by Pillow and Maxfield, and other coordinating fabrics
size: 100" by 105"
backing: randomly placed left over from the front
binding: diagonal rainbow stripes
quilted by me

Now I'm going to view some more quilts at the Blogger's Quilt Festival. So much to see!


AmysCreativeSide

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous - I love the mix of sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful quilt! Love the Swoon blocks in different sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your piecing and quilting are just beautiful! Love the layout too... Thanks for sharing. Karen on Keuka

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, you have my votes for both quilts :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you. Really!