The quilt is larger than the original Project of Doom, found here. I put an extra block in every row, and an extra row on top of the quilt. It was a lot of fun making a dragon, Mad Eye Moody's eye, and a howler among other things. It measures 62" x 78".
My idea was to have white background on both sides of the quilt, and perhaps a broom standing against it. I also wanted feet on the bookshelf. However, by this time the quilt was already pretty large for a couch throw, so I decided to stop.
Many of the books have a title on the spine. It was a stretch for my little Janome, but on the whole I like how they look.
I outline quilted everywhere and then stippled the grey background. There is still more I can quilt, perhaps there always will be and I'd better stop!
The back is from a fabric line called Enchanted Kingdom. A lighter colourway would not have shown the grey quilting threads so much. Oh yes, I quilted all the wooden bookcase parts with, wait for it, woodgrain! It's in Angela Walters Free Motion Quilting book, and seemed perfect. I used a variegated brown, and you can hardly see it.
A few more pics of my lovely bookcase:
In this one you can see all the blocks down to the Sorting Hat.
And in this one you can see the bottom two rows clearly:
Now it's all finished, I feel very attached to this one. I can clearly see a lot of my growth as a quilter between the first few blocks, and the last. And there are some very favourite blocks and fabrics in here.