Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A Snowy Quilting Day

What to do on a cold and snowy day? Stay home and sew of course! And long for the warmer weather now gone - but that's another story!

I've planned a completely scrappy quilt for ages, and I even spent time at a retreat last year sewing strips into long rows with the idea of making one of the quilts in Sunday Morning Quilts (one of my favourite books!).

I got all those strips out and looked them over, but I really wasn't feeling it. It seemed like it was going to be too dark and chaotic. Then I saw Cathy's quilt at the Blogger's Quilt Festival in the Scrappy category, and bingo! That's the one!
Cathy blogs at Blueberry Patch, and I always love her quilts. this one is Scrappy Crossroads.

By great good luck I have the book with the pattern, it is Modern Bee by Lindsay Conner.

Two days later and I have made 7 blocks, the first row. Only another 49 blocks to go! When I see how much of a dent I've already made in my pile of strips, I can only imagine how many more scraps I'm going to be digging out!




When sewing my original strips I had limited myself to red, pink, turquoise, grey, and white.
I'm going to stick with those colours, it seems like plenty, though I'd dearly like to work in some small pieces of purple here and there. We shall see!

Linking to Scraptastic Tuesday at She Can Quilt
                  Sew Cute Tuesday   at Blossom Heart Quilts
                  Show and Tell Tuesday at Fresh Squeezed Fabrics

             

Till next time,

Sue

10 comments:

  1. Love your scrappy colors! I have Sunday Morning Quilts (eBook from the library right now!) I need to bookmark this page. I am making the Fortune Teller blocks right now. I love that book too. Great job. Keep up the scrappy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cute! I like the "controlled scrappy" look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be a beautiful quilt! I too make colour rules for most of my scrappy projects. I'm glad you are joining us for scraptasic Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are off to a great start and good luck with the other 49! Looks like a real scrap buster. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like an awesome scrapbuster quilt and so cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful design and I love all of the fabrics you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great quilt choice. I am also a big fan of Sunday Morning Quilts - that's where my scrap obsession began!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful blocks, this is going to be a gorgeous quilt. I too love scrappy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from the blogathon - nice quilts. Thank you for reminding me about Sunday Morning Quilts - I like everything I have seen in that book, that's something I can ask Santa for!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you. Really!