Thursday, February 26, 2015

Truly Scrappy





I'm excited to be able to say that I've finished my scrap quilt. It is surprising that I managed to keep up the momentum and keep plugging away at it, instead of putting it aside and starting a new project! When you start doing the math, there is a considerable amount of work using up those scraps. Each block is made up of 4 sections and each section uses two strips of scraps. When I needed 8 more blocks, I needed 64 strips of scraps. At that point the strings that I sewed together to subcut were getting longer and longer, and so there was less variety in my last 8 blocks. I put them together carefully without repetition and scattered them throughout the whole quilt. I know they must be there somewhere, but I can't see them!


  The backing is from stash. I had enough of the paisley to back the whole thing, but I wanted to use the dark red fabric, so that went in too, as well as a small piece of teal background koi. It's just to make me smile!



As I commented in my last post, I'm determined to do all my own quilting now, so I rented time on the long arm, and went for it! It took a whole day - this quilt is BIG, 92" x 106" - and my back was sore when I finally finished, but it feels good to be successful.

Here's a close up of my quilting, I did an all over swirly pattern with double loops, and a sort of flowe in the white diamond areas. There are 56 of those, just saying! 


The binding is also from stash, a stripe in the main colours, red, pink, aqua and white. Just perfect!

I will finish with a pic of my new favourite on the bed, with a peek of the backing. Yay for a finish!!!




Linking to: TGIFF! at Persimon Dreams

Scraptastic Tuesday
Quilting is more fun than Housework

12 comments:

  1. Nice job on the finish! Your scraps all work so well together too, I feel like my scraps would not yield something so cohesive as this! I love your quilting, it was so worth all 56 of those little quilted flower designs, just sayin' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this scrappy look with the controlled color palette! I am amazed that you were able to get that quilted in one day! It's beautiful, especially the way the flowers stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scrappy quilt is quite delightful! I can imagine the amount of cutting that went into making this quilt! You did a fantastic job with the colorways! Hmmm I am going to have to consider renting a longarm machine sometime. I free motion quilt on my domestic machine and it takes so long to complete a quilt! Anyways love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a huge success!! I really love the blocks (oh, yeah, I can imagine well the loads of work on those!), the back is gorgeous with an awesome choice of colors/prints, and the binding is perfect, like you say. This must really make you smile. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! I love your quilting too. Scrappy projects always sound so simple but they tend to snowball. The extra sewing and the explosion of fabric from sorting and pulling always tend to be worse than you remember. A bit like having a baby, you conveniently forget until you find yourself in the middle of the process again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely finish... I really like your controlled scrappy colour combo! The effort of staying focused certainly paid off here! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great finish! You also did a nice job on the quilting-standing for a day is hard work. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the colour palette is fairly cohesive, and I am incredibly impressed with the quilting for your first time on a long arm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that has been a massive undertaking - well done for seeing it through and how awesome is the result! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, beautiful quilt! Way to go on quilting it yourself too! Such a great TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning - well worth all the effort :) !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all the scrappy goodness in this. That is a lot of time to quilt all at once. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you. Really!