Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Postage Stamp

I can cross another WIP off the list! My postage stamp quilt was started in Jan 2011. I joined a quiltalong hosted by Rachel Griffiths of ps I Quilt. She has such a creative and interesting blog, and her quiltalong was lots of fun. She showed us how to make a postage stamp quilt from strip sets of jelly roll strips. I used Blush by Basic Grey for Moda.

I remember sandwiching the quilt, and there it sat for almost 2 years, until I tripped over it one too many times!

The quilting is simple, straight line on the diagonal. I now think that this dogwood pattern from Elizabeth Hartman's blog, Oh Fransson, would have looked very nice. Lots more work, of course, but very nice. Next time. I did some FMQ on the border, ivy leaves that sometimes looked like maple, and sometimes oak, and sometimes nothing from a tree. One whole side had to come out because of tension problems on the bottom. I solved that with a new needle and re-threading my machine. These are the joys!

The border has a dark pattern, and was very hard to mark. What do you use? I tried everything, and the white mechanical pencil seemed the best choice.

And lastly the binding went on: Kona Aqua. I just love how this looks. I completely lightens up the edges of the quilt. I don't think any of my bindings have ever struck me as making such a difference. I will pay more attention to binding in future.

Here's the back:


The main fabric is a Kaffe Fassett shot cotton. I used up the rest of the jelly rolls, a total of three for the whole quilt. It measures 90" x 100".

And now on to the next WIP on the pile!

Linking to:

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

 Till next time,

 Sue

13 comments:

  1. Nice! I really enjoyed that quilt along and your quilt looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you did with it. The back is so much fun. For me, binding is a major deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely. I enjoyed that quilt along at the time too but remember feeling like it was a marathon to keep up. I didn't finish when they did because I took mine to a long arm to be quilted but it was still a lot of fun. Just think now you have a new quilt to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this postage stamp quilt! I actually prefer that you didn't do every other square white like the original. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your postage stamp quilt. I have just finished my first (and probably last) postage stamp quilt and can appreciate the work that went into it. I love how you back it. Really nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out beautifully! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! The quilt is lovely and I like the pop of color from the Kona Aqua binding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful finish! I have used some Kona cotton recently and love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you. Really!