Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Blood, Sweat and Tears

I feel like there should be a drum roll in the background, as I reveal this finish. It's my Hunter Star quilt, now renamed "Northern Lights".

Although my fingers didn't actually bleed during the making of this quilt, there was a lot of unpicking of seams, rearranging of blocks, and changing of approach. Blood, Sweat and Tears, you might say, without the blood!

During the whole process I veered wildly between optimism for this quilt, and outright dislike. Now it's finished I feel like the mother of a difficult toddler who has finally grown up into a lovely person. It's almost a surprise!



The back took a whole day at a quilt retreat to piece. I had a lot of triangle units made that were rejected for the front because of the layout. So I made them into blocks and put them on the back.



Here is a shot of the back. Another row with two blocks is not visible.

It was longarmed with an all over swirly, scrolly type design and bound in a pale green batik.
I know, I talked about the importance of binding, but I had some green left over, and I was in a fever to give the quilt to my DD#1.

Linking to:


from blank pages...

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


Till next time

Sue

8 comments:

  1. well worth all the trouble I would say... JUST like a child xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it was a hassle along the way, but it turned out great! Amazing layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to battle through, sometimes it's easy to put it down and walk away, for a year or two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning! Absolutely love the layout and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should be a very proud parent because your "baby" is amazing! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous, you should be feeling very proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how your Northern Lights quilt came out. The optical illusion of the pattern is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on another great finish! Look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you. Really!